FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:04 pm
PortlySpartacus

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gggg707
I think a good number. Having a higher income makes doing MS much easier, as it is easier to float money for short periods of time.

My wife and I make well over that, but we are not about to drop the money required to fly first class and stay in nice hotels all over the world. The level of wealth needed to do that without having it cut into savings is suprisingly high (more than we make). And, even using miles, trips still end up costing a fair bit of money (meals, taxis, locations without chain hotels, fuel surcharges, etc.), which are a lot easier to absord with a decent income.
I get the sense that FT community is a wise bunch and generally frugal, but like to live large. I hear what you are saying....but the old adage applies...its not how much you make, its how much you spend.

That is why I appreciate the FT forums so much. Its a wealth of knowledge around experiencing great locations and travel and how to save money doing it. I do make good money, I travel for work, but my Midwestern values still hold true. My mom was/is a coupon clipper, so I guess that rubbed off on me. I love what MS, credit cards and frequent guest programs can mean for enhancing the overall frequency and quality of the travel experience.