FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:13 am
dtremit

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by pfbloom
I'm pleased with the solution offered for the 500-mile upgrade program - this seems like a good compromise for combining this difficult-to-reconcile benefit:
  • Flights 500 miles and less, unlimited complimentary upgrades for all elites
  • Flights over 500 miles: require paid/earned 500-mile stickers and soon available only to elites; EXP/CP however will receive UDU on all domestic flights.

While this is negative for US elites who are used to UDU for all domestic flights, it's a plus for AA flyers and anyone using the US shorthaul network in the Northeast (though granted an upgrade on RJ or shorthaul out of CLT, PHL, LGA may not be that great a benefit).

I still believe the 500-mile sticker system is good for everyone, allowing lower tier elites the chance to pick their upgrade targets and have a better chance of getting an upgrade. Stickers also give AA/US some revenue to encourage keeping the free benefit, a nice perk for elites.
I think in general this is a good compromise, but I think they got the distance wrong. Something closer to 750 miles would be more appropriate -- maybe the same as the meal cutoff.