FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diners Club runs on Discover Network - so why isn't Discover accepted?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:43 pm
photaco

Diners Club runs on Discover Network - so why isn't Discover accepted?

(this has nothing to do with the US "Diners Club" Mastercards as they do not run on the Discover Network)

Diners Club is supposed to run on the Discover Network. For example, Diners Club cards issued in Japan have the Discover and Pulse logos on the back. (another picture) (yet another picture, apparently for sale too)

You would assume that the Discover card would therefore be accepted where Diners Club is accepted (in Japan), but that doesn't seem to be the case. (I'm also left wondering why Discover needed to ink a deal with JCB since Diners Club is a major payment method in Japan - but it seems you're even less likely to get Discover accepted as a JCB card than as a Diners Club.)

I personally have never gotten Discover accepted as either JCB or Diners Club online. I've yet to get a straight answer from any company and want to know if anyone else has any experience, whether positive or negative.

What is the value of the Discover Network if Discover and Diners Club aren't interchangeable? Has anyone gotten a Diners Club merchant to accept Discover, either in-store or online?