FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX speeds up customs process with passport scanners
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:21 pm
bzcat

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I agree with aBroadAbroad completely.

I came back though TBIT 10 days ago and from deplane to TBIT curb side was a record 15 minutes. It took longer to walk to the computer screens than actually being processed. I had only carry on so didn't even have to wait for luggage.

Lots of pleasant and courteous ICE employees at the arrival hall directing people to the right queues... The elevated walkway from the gate to arrival hall gave really good view of the departure area and the terminal overall. It feels very airy and modern experience, not like the old walk in the dungeon that make you feel like stepping in a time machine to the 1970s.

Edit: Note about the original post I made... the kiosk definitely speed immigration process but it does not help very much to speed up custom process like the LA Times articled claimed. Custom process is still the same at TBIT - you wait for your luggage to come out the belt and you get in line at custom and you may be selected for additional screening. The only thing different about custom process now is that you don't need to fill out the blue custom declaration form with a pen... you type it in at the kiosk and it prints it out for you after you complete the immigration process. I think the LA Times writer was just clueless and does not understand that immigration and customs are two separate processes.

Last edited by bzcat; Oct 27, 2014 at 6:36 pm