FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Restaurants with the "party of one"
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:16 am
s0ssos

Restaurants with the "party of one"

I think restaurants need to get a grip, and start learning how to deal with parties of one.
I often eat out alone, and I know other people do as well. Waiters/hosts don't seem to be well-equipped to deal with this phenomenon.

I can think of a few reasons people eat out alone:
1) you like good food
2) you are hungry

Thus, a few things are different when eating by yourself than when eating out with others (and having company)

Service speed: Sitting alone and waiting for 10 minutes before you are approached is unacceptable.

Greetings: I can't think of the best way to greet someone, but I have been sitting for quite a while before until I motioned a waitress over. She thought I was waiting for someone else. It also is awkward when someone has to confirm "one" multiple times (after the question "how many"?).

Seating order: I prefer to get seated in the order the customers arrived. I dislike it when I'm seated later, especially when the restaurant has plenty of space.

Attentiveness-if my back is facing the rest of the restaurant, it isn't as easy for me to catch someone's eye to get service. If you have 2 people, then one person is facing each direction and it isn't as difficult. So if waiters need to be more attentive for that reason, but also for the reason that I expect service. After all, why am I paying a tip? For horrible service? I'd rather get takeout.