FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:00 am
ffsim

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Cheapen (as well as we're not a charity) should not be used by a professional talking to customers in a public forum. Period. No matter the context.
Especially unfortnate when speaking to an angry mob of customers, even if some clearly have inflated egos about their 'importance' to a company.
Hard to disagree with this.

Originally Posted by ABG
Keep it up guys.... you'll bully Ben Lipsey into not posting soon enough
To be honest, it's important for a company rep to understand what its customers are feeling. That's why AC has multiple representatives on FT. As has been mentioned numerous times in the other thread, it's nothing personal.

Originally Posted by supatight80
Having said that, when someone uses words like "cheapens" "charity" "giving away for free", etc. just shows what he really thinks about e-upgrades.
That's the impression I got from reading the multiple replies from BenL a and Andrew. They really see this as a concern they have to address. Rightly or wrongly...

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
An upgrade is indeed that, in every sense of the word and in any context - getting something in a category above what one paid for. I have the utmost respect for those customers using the program to their advantage, indeed that's how it was designed. I do not begrudge people using the upgrade system nor do I resent our elite members. They have earned their status through intensive flying and were rewarded within the scope of the program. But times change and so too must we at times.
Fair enough, but...

Originally Posted by Stranger
I would think in the event that there will be empty seats left, AC would prefer me to buy latitude and upgrade instead of "paying" for a cheaper P fare?
...this, Ben, this. Stating that paying for Y and sitting in J cheapens the J experience is a rubbish position to take when Y fares are often more expensive then Z fares. How exactly is the J experience cheapened when AC gets more $$$ from a Y fare plus the use of eUpgrade credits