FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 70000 Avios miles for Philippines emergency trip
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:06 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk astig19

Originally Posted by astig19
Hi I need help to use the 70000 miles from IAH to MNL or IAH to CEB. Will be flying on next 15 days for family emergency. I also have 95000 pts on Chase reward in case to top it off. Thanks for the help.
Welcome to Flyertalk astig19, welcome to the BA board, and firstly I am sorry to learn that you have a family emergency on your hands. Trying to sort out travel in that context must be particularly troublesome. However welcome on board, and I hope we can see more of you in the future, in better times.

I haven't looked at the numbers in detail, but I doubt that Avios would help in this particular situation. As mentioned by the other posters, there are some things which work really well using Avios but this scenario doesn't appear to be one of them. It may help as an adjunct to other services, for example if you find a cheap cash fare to HKG, and assuming (e.g.) Cebu Express isn't coming up with a cheap fare from HKG to MNL, then perhaps using Avios on Cathay would work. However there is such fierce competition to Cebu in particular (40 flights a day, 4 airlines) that even that looks doubtful.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.