FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 70000 Avios miles for Philippines emergency trip
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:01 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by astig19
I'm looking for cheapest way to fly from Houston to MNL using 70000+ avios thru its partners. I search the British airways website but they only offer inbound flights but with no return availability. I'm even considering flying to ORD for flexibility.
IAH-MNL is a horrible use of Avios.

Let's break it down into parts:

IAH-DFW = 4500
DFW-HKG = 50000
HKG-CEB/MNL = 7500
Total = 62000

If you get yourself to SFO, the numbers are a little better because SFO-HKG is just under 7000 miles:

SFO-HKG = 35000
HKG-CEB/MNL = 7500
Total = 42500

This is for economy class travel, and is only one way. By way of comparison, 55k AA miles gets you all the way from IAH to the Phils in J on the same flights.

BA points are awesome if you use them according to their strengths (e.g. nonstop flights to/from fortress hubs), but the current system sucks for long flights and/or connections... and your mission requires both of the above.

In addition to CX, JL via TYO also works, but I didn't bother throwing those numbers out there because the YQ costs almost as much as a revenue ticket this time of year. (Same deal with BA metal, but worse because the distance is much greater ---> 80k points required each way.)