FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Plus Award Question from an old Newbie
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:51 pm
freshairborne

Originally Posted by Kacee
So you can book that Nov. 10 LAX-ICN-SYD outbound right now for 80,000 miles. The ICN-SYD leg would be in Y. If you search for awards LAX-SYD, that routing will show up on the united.com search results (towards the bottom of the page). You could then hope that better saver award options will open over the next two weeks (odds are good they will) and change the award. That change would cost $100 per ticket.

Alternatively, you could wait until something better opens to book. That would save you the change fees; the risk is that nothing better may open and you wind up with no flights.

Or if you can travel Nov. 5, book the SFO-SYD routing in F for 80,000 miles.

For the return, you would basically book whatever you can now, and then keep watching for better options. Subject to the $100 per ticket change fee (assuming the change is made within 21 days of departure).
Unfortunately, before Nov 10th, is out of the question for me. I think I'm going to just keep a close eye on it, and also maybe apply for the two credit cards for the additional 100,000 miles. My wife just told me that she has almost that number of points on her AMEX, but I'm unclear on what kind of points, and whether they're airline points.

I might end up with some combo of our points, bought points, and new MP Visa points. Or riding in coach.

Do you or any other FTers know where I can find a User Guide-type document?

Thanks

FAB