FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Plus Award Question from an old Newbie
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:28 pm
freshairborne

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
As you are aware, the price listed is the standard Last seat award price. The usual saver price is 1/2 of it. I am assuming you are looking at Business First both ways. One thing I can recommend is try to go through ICN (in Business class via asiana on their 380 - 80K award is available) and then onwards in Economy to SYD. Alternately, you can book onwards in Business first at 175K price and the return in economy (Or the other way round).

If you choose the Asiana route (currently available on your date from LAX), you will end up with 80K+175K = 255K miles per person!
I'm not really at all familiar with any part of MP, and have never used it, so I was not aware of that. I'm in for a quick and dirty education, I'd guess. I don't know how to even find any of that stuff as it pertains to any other airlines. Star Alliance, I'm thinking you mean? Is it shown on the MP website? I'll look closer. I appreciate your help.

FAB

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Make your outbound Nov 4 or 5... there is Saver F (out of SFO).
The return you are doomed, expect to pay a standard award.... or Y.

E+ buyup looks to be about 175.00 per person, each way.

Not applicable to the question at hand.... NRSA is not possible for this (or did you retire)?
Unfortunately, those dates will not be possible, but I can flex a little.

I avoid NRSA when I can because it's such a crap-shoot. In fact, I generally only do it when my wife isn't with me, there is a jumpseat possibly available (none in int'l flights), and/or there are more than one flight/day.

I'm not retired yet, but that has turned ugly for retirees since the merger. Used to be that we got a little bump-up in boarding priority when we retired with 25+ years. Since the merger of equals, retirees now travel at their retirement seniority, which stops accruing at retirement. This was implemented within a month of my 25 year anniversary.

Not really likin' the changes!

FAB

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 24, 2014 at 5:59 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member