FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Plus Award Question from an old Newbie
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 pm
freshairborne

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's one of the more difficult routes in the system for saver awards. It's not at all surprising UA has nothing available so close to your desired travel dates. People plan these sorts of trips very far in advance and the saver business seats go quickly when they are made available.

Carriers will often open more award seats closer to departure if the flight has lots of seats available. For example, if you wanted to fly out this Sunday, you could fly through SFO on UA in first class for 80,000 miles. On Monday, you could travel on Air Canada in business through YVR for 80,000 miles.
I'll keep watching as we get closer to the date. I would have been on this sooner if I'd known I was going to try and do this. I'll also check surrounding dates, since given that this is a vacation, we're a little flexible.

Thanks for your input.

FAB

Originally Posted by denuaflier
You can buy Economy Plus and price varies based on distance, flight date, etc.
You can apply for a couple of credit cards w Chase and get 50,000 signing bonus each.
You can buy miles on United website going rate is 1.9 cents per mile.
Good suggestions, and thank you. I'll consider these options. Given how often my visa cards are being hacked, it's not a bad idea to have a spare one ready to go.

FAB

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 24, 2014 at 4:25 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member