FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Plus Award Question from an old Newbie
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:09 am
IADFlyer123

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by freshairborne
Here’s a MP Award and hopefully Saver Award question:

My wife and I have a bit under 600,000 points saved up, all from MP Visa use. We want to go from the west coast to SYD and back, around 11/10 going down, around 11/26 returning.

I’ve never used any kind of MP points for anything, hence I know nothing about it, but a cursory look at award travel between both LAX and SFO to/from SYD shows that I’m short by 100,000 points if we’re looking to travel in anything other than coach. Between the two of us, we have exactly 591,770 points right now.

Looks like they want 175,000 per person per leg.

Can an Economy class MP award flight get an E+ upgrade?
If so, how much?
Can I somehow buy, beg, borrow, or steal 100,000 points that I can use to make it happen?
If there’s a possibility of any of this, I’ll have even more questions.
I’d welcome someone resurrecting the UA Pilot Q&A so I can answer YOUR questions!

FAB
As you are aware, the price listed is the standard Last seat award price. The usual saver price is 1/2 of it. I am assuming you are looking at Business First both ways. One thing I can recommend is try to go through ICN (in Business class via asiana on their 380 - 80K award is available) and then onwards in Economy to SYD. Alternately, you can book onwards in Business first at 175K price and the return in economy (Or the other way round).

If you choose the Asiana route (currently available on your date from LAX), you will end up with 80K+175K = 255K miles per person!