FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's the most annoying passenger you've encountered?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:45 am
Dadaluma83

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
JFK-LAX UA flight in econ plus a few months ago. Someone close to me was continually passing gas and refusing the use the restroom to relieve themselves. Every 5 minutes awful smell, after awful smell. I summoned the flight attendants several times and requested an announcement be made to the offending gas passer to use the restroom and spare the entire plane from their smells. FA said they even are smelling it in F/class but still refused to make a basic announcement. It got so bad that I had to hold my nose for most of the flight. Nothing like having to breathe other peoples farts for 6 hours+
I sympathize with you. I truly do, but I question just how practical it is to get up and go to the lav every few minutes to fart. Wouldn't that arouse suspicion? Make people wonder why someone keeps getting up, the FA's would wonder and question the pax as frequent use of the lav could be a security red flag. Make people wonder if something is being assembled in there. Who knows? Much less embarrasing and more discreet to just let it out all flight as awful as it is I know. Even so the constant opening and closing of the door would fan the smell around anyway not to mention the pax crop dusting on the way back. Just not a practical or realistic solution what you suggested, unless you suggested to the FA to make an announcement to the pax to just hold it in.

I had my own string of annoyances on a flight a few weeks back on a Southwest flight from PHX to SEA I was in 2F, right behind the bulkhead in front. Towards the end of boarding when the FA's started to mention it was a completely full flight, aisles and windows are probably all taken, grab the first empty seat, etc this older, probably 50 something couple spotted the middle seat in my row and the bulkhead. The wife sat next to me, husband got the bulkhead. Everyone is on board and the door closes, the FA's mention to the husband that his bag must go overhead, but there is no more overhead space nearby, however the wife makes a suggestion that maybe she can squeeze his small backpack/purse thingy under the seat in front of her. Since she already had her purse there, and my small duffel bag was already under the seat in front of me in order to make room she had to have her husband's bag spill over into my foot space. I can always put my bag under the seat and still have plenty of feet space by straddling it, but not that time.

To top it off during pushback I smelled this awful smell that lingered for what felt like forever. Someone farted. So bad the lady next to me started fanning her face with her magazine. I just stood still because I felt like if I tried to fiddle with the ac to fan the stench away from me I would get blamed for it when it wasnt me!

Off and on during the flight a baby a few rows back would wail horribly for about 15-20 minutes then stop for a while.