FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Restaurant Changes Tip on Amex Receipt
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:08 am
Tim O'Brien

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Since you agreed to pay the 10.5% tip, I'd go ahead and pay that. But I would involve law enforcement for the fraud perpetrated so they don't do it to anyone else. I'd let the owners know in no uncertain terms what happened in case they weren't in on it. Someone should be fired here.
the owner i believe was fronting like in a Maitre D role. i'm sure amex will be dealing with the ownership, so if in the event it was a dishonest staff member, i expect they'll investigate internally and hopefully take action. I agreed to pay that 10.5% tip and the cost of the meal, but that was before i was defrauded.

i really hadn't considered going to law enforcement, the check was only USD70 inc tax, but take your point, i'm thinking amex will punish them by not paying them for that transaction. I will stand my ground with amex, and i expect they will do the right thing, but the suggestion of engaging law enforcement may be just enough for it to be dealt with adequately.

appreciate your thoughts, it really is an issue of principle, and doing what is required to mitigate the risk of them doing it again to some unsuspecting customer, for example, an elderly person may not look at the detail so much, i know i scan my amex statements, and see i've been to this restaurant or the supermarket etc, and i expect the figures to accurate.