FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheap Bags vs Quality???
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:59 am
panamamike

Go for quality, not necessarily price...

I've been a travel pro guy for many years, my first bag cost me quite a bit of money, but it has certainly stood the test of time. First generation platinum series. I've even had the opportunity to test the lifetime warranty and they did repair or replace the bag as needed.

After getting married, I found a need for a few more bags and ended up trying out some lower cost bags at TJ Maxx. I was pretty impressed with what I could get for the money. I picked up Delsey and it's worked very well.

The trick is to ensure you buy a bag that uses quality materials and has been well put together. That means ballistic Nylon, inline skate wheels, big wide zippers, strong zipper pulls, double stitching, a smooth sturdy articulating handle, a well attached handle, double stitched and screwed in place. If possible find a bag with a good warranty. The longer warranty usually indicates a better quality product.

If you have to compromise, I'd spend more money on the check luggage pieces vs. the carry-on. The checked luggage will certainly see more abuse than the carry-on that's in your direct care. My carry-on suffered more damage on one trip than weeks of regular use when I had to check it in. I've seen bags dropped from about 25 feet that were on a conveyor up to the jet bridge.

Why opt for a quality bag when you can buy 2x or 4x or 6x of a cheaper bag?

Have you ever had a bag fall apart on you at the airport or during a trip?
I've seen this a number of times and unfortunately seen this happen to my Dad while he was on a business trip. Depending on where you are this can be a very painful and frustrating situation to deal with, my Dad had to buy a replacement at the airport and we know they aren't exactly known for fire sales. Not to mention potential loss or damage of what you carry in your bag.

Doing some bargain shopping and knowing what to look for in a bag can go a long way to get a great bag for less money, but if you have to compromise, I'd go for spending a little more vs. saving to ensure you get a bag that will go the distance.

Regards,

Mike