FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honeymoon - BA points advice and tips
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:56 am
Sixth Freedom
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT Sylar. ^

Originally Posted by Sylar
Sept 2015 in the Pacific/South East Asia area ... upgrade from World Traveller Plus to Business
Availability to the far east is quite good in Club, but you might need to be a bit flexible regarding the BA port which you fly to.

2x CW seats to SIN are only currently available if you fly outbound on 22nd September and inbound on either 28th or 29th September. HKG on the other hand has availability on 2nd or 23rd outbound and 8th, 21st and 28th inbound.

PVG has availability outbound every day apart from 6th, 7th, 13th, 14th, 20th, 21st, 27th and 28th and inbound every day apart from 4th, 5th, 11th, 18th, 25th and 27th.

Now if my calculations are correct (using Singapore as a destination, and London as the departure point), I will need 35,000 points each to upgrade the out/in flights? Totalling 70,000 points to fly business for the both of us, both outbound and inbound?
Correct. For HKG and PVG you will need 60k in total.

At the moment I have a personal BA account, I presume I will have to convert this to a household account to share my points with my 'soon to be!' wife?
Not correct. You can use your Avios to book flights for others even if they are not in a household account with you.

I've read and heard there are restrictions on what flights are eligible to upgrade with points? How can I be sure that the flights I book can be upgraded with my points? Can you do it all online at the time of booking? Or is it best to phone and book with a BA advisor?
All WT+ fares that you buy through ba.com or the BA call centre are upgradeable. But it is best to do it all in one transaction, either online or over the phone, so that you can be 100% sure of getting Club seats.

Lastly, is there a particularly good time to book to get a better price? Sale periods?
Given the excellent availability to PVG at the moment I would be inclined to book now, as even if a better fare might appear in the future you will probably only save a couple of hundred Pounds, will be worrying for months about whether the availability will still be there and in the end might not be able to get your first-choice dates.