FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:15 am
DCA writer

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by paytonc
The issue he cited then was that MWAA has borrowed a lot to build things at IAD lately, like Concourse B and AirTrain, whereas DCA is relatively unencumbered by MWAA debt. (Is this just a roundabout way for Smisek to claim that AA DCA should pay for new UA IAD facilities? DCA's overhauled Terminal 2 is now 17 years old and has been mostly paid off, hence the recent moves to improve T1 and maybe add a new pier.) Smisek also cited the need to cut costs on the design, which isn't exactly encouraging. an appearance once the current capital construction program expires in 2016.
That's what I remember seeing here earlier from somebody who said he/she worked at MWAA--although, now that I think of it, he might have said that MWAA's balance sheet would clear after phase two of the Silver Line was done. In which case: Ugggghhhh.

I've made my peace with IAD C/D by spending as much time as possible in LH's lounge before a flight, then transferring over just in time to board. But I feel sorry for people who don't have that option and instead have to wait around in a crowded concourse that doesn't even have enough windows for the one guaranteed form of entertainment at an airport: looking at airplanes.