FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standing by for earlier flight
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:26 pm
FLIHGH

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by diburning
Doesn't that depend on whether you ask to stand by before or after you check your bags?

Lets say I checked a bag in BOS for BOS-JFK-JAX and arrive at JFK at 2PM. My JFK-JAX flight departs at 3:30PM, but there is an earlier flight that leaves at 2:40PM. If I ask to standby on the 2:40PM flight, would they have time to pull the bag to load it onto the earlier flight?

Although the times above are fictional, it is a true story based on my attempt to stand by for an earlier flight. The agent at the Just Ask desk said that although I would be able to make the flight, my bag would not arrive until the later flight did.

I'm assuming that if you check a bag for a booked flight, then standby onto the earlier one with very little wiggle room before boarding, they're probably not going to track down your bag to pull it.
I was booked on LAX-BOS-IAD in June of this year, but when I arrived in BOS, changed my flight to DCA, which was earlier, instead of IAD. They found my bag fine and it arrived with a big green 'REROUTE' sticker on it.