FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time zone confusion with iCal/Apple Calendar
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:04 pm
gfunkdave
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkey75
Except when flying, where it's imperative that start and end times show in the time zone the plane will be in at each end.

I've learned to live with it knowing that any given event will eventually show the correct time zone when I get there.
Your calendar shows you what's going on in the time zone you're in. If it were to somehow show events starting and ending in different time zones, it would be really confusing. You wouldn't know how long the event was. Besides, when you import a calendar item from an airline, it usually says the local time of arrival and departure for you. But the flight itself doesn't occur in two time zones at once.

Originally Posted by jspira
Sure it does. Especially for a flight.

I do this all the time in the Lotus (excuse me, IBM) Notes calendar for trips. Each time entry (start and end) can have its own time zone. The original Lotus Notes developers (thanks Ray Ozzie) thought this out quite well as this has always been the case.
Except that your six hour flight to Europe would suddenly show as taking 12 hours if you show its start and end times in different time zones. And it's just a six hour flight. I would find that incredibly confusing.

I suppose it fundamentally results from a different way of thinking about time, with me (and most people ) in one camp and y'all in another.