FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - the misconceptions of credit cards and debt redneck edition
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:31 am
rgAAFT

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
You know what was shocking to me? The girls didn't have a rapid rewards account and didn't know about earning points for the flights they have to take to road games. Passing up free points? Shocking.

Haha but like I said naturally college kids have other things on their mind.

Back on topic a bit speaking of credit cards for college kids I was in college right before the CARD act was enacted. I remember just walking to class and would on occasion see a group of people aggressively hand out flyers to passers-by. They would basically shove it in your hand as you walked by. The flyers would say things like bring your student id to Papa Johns pizza and get a free large pizza, or go to a local deli for a free sub, chips, and a drink.

Even though I was a bit more naive then, I still knew business don't ever just straight up give things away for free. There was a catch and I wouldnt even bother finding out what it is so I always threw those flyers in the trash.

Heard from other people that yep, in order to get the free food you have to sign up for a credit card. Of course the flyers didnt say that you didnt find out until you actually tried to claim your free stuff.

I still had a few years of college after the CARD act was passed and nicely enough those last few years there were no scammy flyers being forced upon people anymore. ^

The good thing is, I am not like most college kids (in more ways than one) , in that I don't like pizza (now, sushi would've been a different story) Still, that just shows how naive most college kids really are, i mean, most are willing to sign up for a credit card for a $5 pizza, yet they could signup for that same exact card and get a free business class flight