FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Purchasing (Cash/Award) AC Premium Economy on UA ticket stock (016)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:26 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Just a heads up on AC PE.

It's only available on "Rouge" (which is actually business, but the product itself is more like PE) and on the AC mainline 777 and 787, neither of which seem to fly to CPH (at least for the search I did in Feb). So that may answer your query there.

Furthermore, AC doesn't treat it's PE like UA treats E+. It's not an upgrade or a seat selection thing. AC has "preferred seats" for that type of distinction. The legroom is the same, but the row is more desirable or it's bulkhead/exit row. That you can do prior or day of (if any of the seats are still available), though you'll have to pay as it's not free for *G.

PE at AC is like a 3rd tier. Econ, Econ (with a preferred seat), Premium Econ and Business. So it's something that has to be bought when buying the ticket and it increases the fare a lot. I'm not sure what booking class it shows up as, but you'd have to book directly into that class then pick your seat from the 2-3 rows of PE accordingly.

Tl;dr...no you can't just pay-up to PE at Air Canada. You can only pay-up to a preferred seat. You may be offered a last minute upgrade to buy into PE/J (not sure if they do em for PE) but IMO those are usually insanely expensive for what you get and I'm not sure how often they're offered since we have so many people using their current upgrade instruments to bump up.
This is not correct - Premium Economy on AC is a distinct cabin on select 777 and 787 aircraft, and only available on the limited routes these aircraft fly.

The Rouge product is completely different when it comes to preferred seating, ie larger seats, more legroom, which is not the same Premium Economy product.

There is no upgrade path from UA - it needs to be bought outright, generally on ac.com or through a travel agent.