FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:57 am
Badenoch
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ridefar
Seriously? Ebola isn't anywhere near where people go on Safari. Not by 5000 miles or so.

On one hand, I cringe at people's ignorance and inability to analyze risk. On the other hand, if you are serious and prices are dropping then it looks like it is time to go on safari again. Far be it from me not to capitalize on other people's stupidity.
At Thanksgiving dinner I mentioned in passing to my in-laws that I was going back to South Africa and Namibia on business. It'll be my fourth trip there in as many years. No amount of convincing (including a map showing the distances) would dissuade them from the firmly held view that I was putting myself in extreme peril and risked infecting the entire family when I got back.

Southern Africa is great and I like it there particularly Namibia. If the Ebola scare means fewer Tilley-hat wearing dummies with monster cameras and carry-on bags crammed with more antibiotics and Imodium than most pharmacies then that's a definite plus.