FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planes, boats, buses, cars, and a train - Burma Revealed
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:47 am
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Moomba - fabulous photos.

I was fortunate enough to visit Burma in 2010. Back then, it was still a closed society: citizens could face severe penalties for speaking freely, visiting Aung Sung Su Ki's postal resulted in the threat of severe imprisonment and there were no English signs representing the date of birth at the Shewedagon Paya.

Having said that, your photos of Bagan and Mandalay were terrific. It recognized how rich this country is in temples - even compared to the greats such as Siem Reap and Indonesia. A solid effort. ^

Originally Posted by arlflyer
As a younger traveler I think my biggest fear is there being nothing left by the time I get to all of the places I'd like to see - will the whole world be paved over with trinket shops and trampled down by the package tour groups? With information so accessible and travel so ubiquitous, it seems that the time from newly discovered to completely overheated is about 6 months these days. I'm hoping there will be places left for my generation!
Arlflyer - I don't think you have anything to worry about. I hope some of the veterans will back me on this, but each trip is different, a picture of a country in a particular part of time. The US would be different if you visited it today in 2014 as it was in 1995 in the height of the grunge revolution or in 1980 when eighties was all the range. It took Singapore 40 years to get from Third World to First and I doubt that Burma would be any exception. Play your cards right and you'll be able to return to Myanmar (after your first visit) with your children with stories of "I remember when..." A privledge indeed.