FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:36 pm
Chiro1979

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I guess I should continue licking toilet seats to see if I get Ebola
I'm assuming each route/region has its own unique taste - which one is your favorite?

In relation to Ebola, personally I am not too worried. The mortality rate is high, yes, but it is a very difficult disease to contract. Influenza is far more contagious and I don't get sick on every flight that I take. I think a lot of the fear is caused by hype - think SARS in Toronto. My friends in the US would freak out every time I went to Toronto, but I never felt unsafe. (Incidentally my response to them was that I should be fine since I didn't lick any patients in a hospital). That being said, one thing I am curious about is the lavatory - I understand sitting next to someone is perfectly safe, but I do think the lavatory presents additional risks that need to be considered. At the end of the day though, I don't consider flying to be any more risky today than it was last week or last year. In this global world, I do think this is the new reality. There will always be something that will present a health threat - today it is Ebola, tomorrow, it will be something else. To expect borders to shut down every time there is a health threat is unrealistic, in my opinion.