FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:23 pm
RCyyz

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by CanRulez
There's evidence the virus is already mutating.
Quote your source and I'll consider it. Otherwise I call complete bull on that statement.

Each virus has it's own characteristics, but mutation in the sense of adaptation is a different matter. What's currently going through West Africa is Ebola, family filoviridae. Plain. And. Simple.

This whole thing about "we should shut our borders" is pointless. What we should do is infuse West Africa with massive aid in the form of mobile treatment labs, trained personnel, medical supplies etc. While AC FAs can feel the need to protect themselves with gloves, those same gloves would be incredibly more usefully employed in West African vs some E90 doing a YYCYEG milk run.

While I'm on the topic - I do feel that Canada's response to this (approx $65 million) is shamefully paltry. I'll bet the mission against ISIS has cost at least that much already. Both ISIS and Ebola require a massive response. But Ebola can be controlled. I'm less certain about ISIS.