FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:27 pm
haibane

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
No other card has the exact same combination of benefits, so it depends which ones you actually use as to what else it can be compared to.

The Diners Club MC (just opened for new "personal" card applications) is $95/year, has better transfer ratios to most hotel programs than Amex MR does, has lounge access (but not the same so it depends where exactly [down to airport terminalsl] you fly how it compares), and includes rental car collision/theft insurance (with no extra per-rental fee). It may have some other things on your list, but I'm carry-on only (so never need lost/delayed baggage protection), don't use purchase protection, etc, so I'm not familiar with all of its other benefits.

It has Diner's club lounge access, which isn't really a fair comparison at all. Being in Atlanta, there are 9 Delta skyclub lounges I can access with the platinum and one Diner's club lounge in the International terminal which I never go to. I'm guessing you place no value on spg Gold, Concierge, Elite status in the three major car rental companies, Global Entry, $200 airfare credit, Boingo wifi, and exclusive access to many different things? To compare these is like comparing a Ferrari to a Miata and saying the Miata is better because its cheaper and fits your needs. Yes it may fit your needs, but it in no way is even close to the Platinum.

Just my opinion, but I don't see your comparison.