FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Idiosyncrasies of NZ/other airline booking options
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:36 am
libertyuk

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Angry Idiosyncrasies of NZ/other airline booking options

I am almost defeated by the bizarre idiosyncrasies of NZ's booking relationships with other airlines.

What I want to do is fly LHR-AKL-TYO-LHR in PE, with the TYO-LHR sector on BA8 (HND-LHR), primarily because my partner is on that same flight herself, and we can fly back to London on the same flight/cabin (and I can use my Oneworld Sapphire status as well).

I CAN book a oneway ticket AKL-NRT/HND-LHR on NZ/BA on the flights I want through either the UK or NZ Air NZ websites, in PE. No problem. It also offers VS NRT-LHR, for more, in PE, which I'd rather avoid, not only because I wouldn't be sharing the flight with my other half, but also because I get no status benefits, and it means us going to different airports at TYO leaving the same day, and arriving around 4 hours apart at LHR on the same day.

I CAN book a return ticket AKL-NRT/HND-LHR-AKL likewise

I CAN'T book a return ticket LHR-AKL-NRT/HND-LHR at all, in any class for exactly the same day. I rang NZ, and the lady did spend 40 minutes trying to help, but couldn't make it work. It requires me to go NRT-LHR on VS in either Y (ugh) or PE, although I can go HND-LHR in NH for an additional £1500 in Y (um no thanks). There is availability in NH in PE, but NZ can't sell me seats on NH in PE (and it can't on JL either).

So there is some restrictive arrangement whereby Air NZ can't sell a UK origin ticket that includes a BA sector from Japan to the UK. Meanwhile, Air NZ can't sell me a PE seat on any airline flying from TYO-LHR except VS, even though all of them offer it, including its *A partner NH. Even if the NZ sector booking classes are changed to higher ones, it makes no difference, and the BA flight has plenty of availability in PE (my partner got a free BA redemption ticket using miles on it).

I CAN book two separate one way tickets LHR-AKL and AKL-NRT/HND-LHR, for £550 more, but that just seems madness.

Sorry, it's just a rant, but the rules don't make sense. NZ is forcing me onto VS, I am willing to pay to go on BA, there is availability - NZ would sell me the ticket if I didn't start the trip at LHR, but no!