FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two new properties to open in Bhutan
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:56 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ridefar
Apparently the days of high cost/high value and low volume tourism in Bhutan are over. Which is really really too bad. Oh well. I wonder how they will handle bookings for tthese properties given that you can't actually direct book in Bhutan (you have to have a confirmed tourist visa and itinerary first) as far as I know. Unless you have an Indian passport of course.

makin'miles I would book as soon as possible. If this is a sign of things to come in the kingdom, you definitely want to visit while it remains (relatively) unspoiled. Ms. Ridefar and I went 7 years ago--it remains one of the very best trips we have done out of many many trips. Bhutan is magical in every way and I can't recommend it strongly enough. I would also look at the Uma properties as options for staying at. If you are feeling like really breaking the bank, the Amankora lodges (part of the Aman group) would be amazing. Certainly not cheap but amazing.
I completely agree with the exception that there is another way to visit Bhutan without all the tourist group and visa nonsense. You can go relatively easily on a business visa.

And I did predict this was going to happen back in 2007 when Bhutan changed from a monarchy to a democracy. I could see the political leaders licking their chops to get rich on tourism. I wrote about it here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ip-bhutan.html