FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Convince me: is it still beneficial to play the SkyMiles game?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:07 pm
RealHJ

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bzn
2015 might just be the year I say "done" and start the big burn of my mileage balance. It would truly be refreshing to buy the best itinerary at the best price, opting with my wallet instead of my loyalty. No more filling out post-flight surveys, no more "job well done" coupons.
Other than strongly suggesting you to burn your miles now before 2014 is over - before the 2015 higher redemption rates at more tiers (which means, less flights than ever at the normal tier), and likely/possible loss of stop-overs and open-jaws on award travel (a major erosion and cost increase, if it so happens - as is likely, since 2015 award travel rules are still not published) and likely increase in SkyTeam award redemption cost (again, as it's not said anywhere that it'll continue to be at the normal level vs. at one of the four SkyHigh ones: assume the worst with DL, as always) - and to plan your 2015 award travel now in 2014, I say Go for it!

I stopped flying mostly DL some two years ago. It has been so refreshing to fly the best airline in terms of service and schedule and price vs. on DL. To experience far better service level, esp. service recovery, on UA as a no-status pax (e.g. award flight cancellation due to MX aircraft results in UA buying me a full-fare J ticket for the very last seat on the direct lie-flat DL flight (vs. connecting UA as I had booked) just because I - a nobody - asked for it, vs. putting me on one of the 50+ comparable re-routing options available on UA that day) and the same on AA and other airlines.

It's like taking a big jump off the deep end (a bit scary to do it), but once you do it, you will feel so much better and will regret that you didn't do so earlier. It's such a liberating feeling! Save money, save time (i.e. value your own time and comfort more), and experience (at least, if your experience is similar to mine) superior Customer Service and Service Recovery on UA and AA as a no-status flyer, where you are generally treated better (even if you are on award travel) than DL treats its DMs on revenue F/J fares.