FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Cards or Cash in Japan
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:45 am
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a homesick brit who has quite obscene cravings for Waitrose (and M&S) could you tell me if there is a Peacock near Tokyo station? I had a look on the website, but found my auto-translate of it somewhat confusing.

Originally Posted by gnaget
Even the ultra-cheapskate OK, which is so cheap that it charges for plastic bags, take CCs. OK is found inside but separate from Home's home center stores.

In central Tokyo you will find more upscale and over-priced markets like Kinokuniya, Meidi-ya and Seijo Ishii. The latter has great fish in Foodshow at Tokyu in Shibuya. Often they are part of the basement level (food department) of a department store. The upscale shopping centers Tokyo Midtown and Roppongi Hills each have their own upscale supermarkets, Precce and LINCOS. Well, I assume so for the latter -- never entered.

For expat shopping but also excellent meat I recommend Nissin in Azabu-Juban.

Also in central Tokyo there is Peacock, e.g. Aoyama dori, Azabu-Juban, and Daikanyama. They have assorted items from Waitrose in the UK. More like a regular supermarket. Not a big fan.

The large chain Maruetsu (parent of LINCOS) has small markets called Maruetsu Petit all over central Tokyo. They are mediocre but much better than convenience stores.

In central Tokyo there is a store from the Life chain, which is found in Shibuya on Meiji dori a few hundred meters south of the station. I like this store. This is one of the few suburban type supermarkets in central Tokyo. Free parking too.

Another major chain but have to go to Setagaya and the more distant of the 23 wards and there is one around Hatsudai, is Summit. (Sammito). I don't like them.

Oh yeah, don't forget Hanamasa. It caters to small restaurants. But bulk size packaging is like regular US size packages. It is good for some things like vegetables and fruit, but beware of the Chinese gyoza and the Fukushima cucumbers.

Finally, Maruetsu Petit was originally called Pororoca. Maruetsu acquired the chain. What is a Pororoca you may wonder? It is an Amazonian tidal bore.... one hell of a name for a supermarket chain.