FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sky Team Madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:09 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'd toyed with using on line check in. This wasn't meant to be however. The only time the flight was open for on line check in that I had computer and printer access was when I was in transit in the lounge in Sydney. However I noticed that only TPE-HKG showed and I ideally wanted to check in for the return flight as well so as to avoid potential issues at Hong Kong (eg missing check in cut-off). So I pulled out of the on line check in and trusted the Taipei transfer desk could check me in for both flights. As noted above, the transfer desk wasn't open when I arrived, and would be shut for over an hour. I didn't want to hang around the transfer desk, which is on the arrivals level with no amenities (eg seating). I would try to check in at the lounge when it opened, otherwise I could go out the wrong way through transfer security to visit the transfer desk when it opened. The lounge agents were able to check me in for both flights, saving that hassle.

The gate was quite a distance from the lounge. I arrived at what should have been the middle of boarding to see the aircraft just pulling in to the gate. Okay there is going to be a delay. How long will it be?

The inbound flight was fairly lightly loaded with only about 150 passengers so I thought the turnaround may not take too long. Of course I was forgetting this was a new aircraft to all the crew. A delay of unspecified duration was announced. After a while a new boarding time was stated. That time came and went and an updated boarding time was called. Rinse and repeat. Finally an hour late we boarded.

The new business class seat is in reverse herringbone layout 1-2-1. While it has been a while since I've last flown in this layout I don't recall it being as narrow. The seat is dark gray which makes it hard to find the latches for the various cubbyholes. You can just make out an outline of the button to press. While there are several cubbyholes they are fairly small and there is also no space around the seat for a bag of any size. The seat is lie flat with the lower part of the body in a "V" hole in the seat in front. Too bad if you are claustrophobic.

The IFE has almost identical content to that on the other aircraft types but the controller is not very intuitive to use both in terms of selecting movies, programmes, etc; and also in adjusting volume. The flight path is located in the applications menu and labelled "3D Voyager" - not the most obvious to find.

Being the first day of operation we were given some goodies - a set of ear buds and some China Airlines 77W playing cards. I wasn't expecting that as I wasn't on the inaugural flight.

Once boarding was completed we had a further delay before pushback. The IFE was turned on at the gate and the delay was sufficiently long that, despite the short flight time of around 90 minutes I managed to view a complete 2+ hour duration movie.

The flight was totally full. Indeed it had even been blocked from showing on most booking sites and availability tools.

We finally left Taipei 90 minutes late, or about the scheduled arrival time, and only made up a few minutes en route.

Edited to add - I forgot to say that there was a strong new aircraft smell, just like being in a brand new car.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 10, 2014 at 7:54 am