FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International travel with teenagers?
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:01 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not to be a grump, but I think only you can answer your own question. No one knows your children/family the way you do, and accordingly assess whether they will enjoy it or not.
Originally Posted by bmchris
We have kids currently in elementary school, and we have traveled widely as a family - Europe (twice), Australia, Asia, and the US. I'm planning a trip to Japan for summer next year.

My question is relating to a trip that we can possibly make in Thanksgiving - to Norway of all places. We've never been to Scandanavia. I'm sure the kids will be neutral to loving it. My wife thinks it's a non-trivial expense, and the cost is better deferred to when the kids are older.

With teenagers these days, do they like to travel with their parents more than or less than when they were in elementary school? Do they like it more, since they can be more part of the "decision" processes? Or do they find it a "drag" to be with their "uncool" parents? And they'd rather stay at home with their friends and devices?

Do I take this trip, as something that we will enjoy and remember now? Or push it off for their later years, where it will likely be even more enjoyable?
I'd agree with LondonElite - frankly, none of us knows your kids, their likes/dislikes, temperament, etc. Those of us who have traveled with out teens can relate our experiences, but they will all vary.

Have you started by...asking your kids if they would like to go on that particular trip?