FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight Finding program
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:00 am
gnutello

Originally Posted by HGF
The goals of that project and my project are different. I am not trying to determine a correlation between seat availability and price fare information. I just want to find great flight deals for either mileage runs or cheap vacations by essentially automating the process that everyone already does on Matrix. There also hasn't been an update in over 6 months and a pull request has been pending for over a month.

I also want to do a lot of the legwork, so I can learn.
My pull request finally got accepted. While the purpose of the project might be different, I see no harm in forking it -- particularly since it already has a NoSQL database integrated. Basically all you have to do is implement more XMLHttpRequests. The code is pretty easy to work with -- at the minimum, you can reuse a lot of its basic functionality as long as you redesign the database "tables".

When I get the chance, I'll take a look at your code and see if there's a fast way to port over some of the other code. You'll probably want to look into using Tor with Python to allow multithreaded queries. Also, when you make requests from ITA, make a driver that repeats requests until you get past the "server capacity exceeded" error, or 1 minute passes.