FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheap Bags vs Quality???
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:21 am
IflyfromABE

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
I'd actually do some research before I would buy my next bag. Travel Pro will definitely will not make my list because the current and the last few generations are cheaply made in China and are much overpriced compared to equal (or better) low end quality. (e.g. Target has a ballistic nylon Wenger Swiss Army brand 2-wheeler for $120ish that is under $100 often on sale.)

I would really recommend going to a couple of places: a large luggage store that has high end and mid end bags and a department store (like Kohl's or Sears) that has low end bags. Look at them, open them, feel them carry them, measure them (lots of airlines are strict these days.) Brand and durability is one thing, functionality and features is another and sometimes even bigger decision point, esp. if you are looking at an expensive bag.

It also depends on how often you travel and how many times your bag is handled by airport staff (e.g. when you travel with RJs.)