FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sky Team Madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:05 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Amsterdam to Bangkok on China Airlines A340-300 in business (AMS-BKK CI C)

I had checked in for the flight on my way past a kiosk on arrival, and got boarding passes for the next 3 flights.

I had a nice shower in the Crown lounge followed by a couple of drinks while I waited for boarding time. My gate was a few piers over from the lounge - just about as far as possible in the non-schengen zone. There was a small queue at gate security because boarding had already commenced. By the time I got onboard I could see the business class cabin was completely full.

Those who've flown the A340 in business class before may guess the issue that brought. There is no overhead bins in the middle and so the overhead bins on the sides of the aircraft soon get full. As last to board the crew had to put my carry on in a locker - but most of these were also already full. I hoped they found a space somewhere because if they gate checked the bag it would cause a significant inconvenience at my next airport, assuming it even made it that far.

After lunch and a few drinks I managed to get about 5 to 6 hours sleep - not as much as I'd like but enough for now.