FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:24 am
michael_v

Originally Posted by elbombo
I hope this is the correct thread for this question...

I originally booked the following award ticket for two people RT in business class for 160K miles each:

JFK-FCO (stopover)
FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-JFK

I then called to add in a domestic stopover in Italy so instead of stopping over in FCO, we were stopping over in Bari and the new itinerary looked like this:

JFK-FCO-BRI (stopover)
BRI-FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-JFK

However, when I spoke the the Platinum desk they said that the system wanted to charge me an additional 60K miles for the BRI stopover. I argued saying that it's still in the same region and instead of stopping over in FCO i'm now doing it in BRI so it should be the same miles. They got the ticketing department on and they couldn't explain it either but agreed to reissue it for free for me since I'm Platinum.

I now have to change the 2nd pax to fly the following (all avail at low level) but I don't want to run into the same issue with DL trying to charge me more miles:

JFK-FCO-BRI (stopover)
BRI-FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-ATL-SBN

Anyone know what's going on here and what I need to tell them to get this to work? I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with married segments.
JFK-FCO-BRI-FCO-CDG-JNB is 5 segments and the limit is 4 segments each way. Find a city with non-stop flights to both FCO and CDG and you should be ok, i.e. JFK-FCO-XXX-CDG-JNB.