FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sky Team Madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:45 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sydney transit

At the bottom of the airbridge airline staff had out a transit card and place a sticker on the chest of all through passengers. At Brisbane this occurs at the departures side of transfer security. Another airline staff stands outside international transfer security directing people with stickers to follow the signs to transfer security (which is also obvious by the views of carry-on xray machines).

I managed to get through without being picked to take the nudeoscope (there is no opt out in Australia but instead they select passengers so there is a continuous stream through nudeoscope with the rest going through walk through metal detectors). Then up the lift past departures level to the Qantas business lounge, which is the contract lounge used by China Airlines in Sydney.

It feels very odd to me to be walking past the first class lounge entrance - it has been so long that I've had first class lounge access when flying Qantas or One World that the last time I'd used the business class lounge in Sydney international terminal was before the current lounge opened! The lounge bouncer checks my boarding pass stub against the valid passenger list provided by China Airlines. You can tell if the lounge bouncer is new by the reaction to the boarding pass stub - a new staff asks for the rest of the boarding pass (or "please give me the real one, not this used one"). With a moments delay I'm welcomed in and I grab a drink while checking my messages. You need to watch for the time as the departure monitors in the lounge do not list China Airlines flights (or China Southern), instead only display Qantas, One World and Emirates flights. Boarding is called about 35 minutes before departure, just slightly later than was announced during our taxi in to the terminal.