FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:04 pm
Andrew Yiu
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by pmax
Will this mean the beef won't be a hockey puck in soup going forward? 4/5 times it is what I receive. The 1/5 times it isn't, it's because I ask them to take it out 5 minutes early and they do. Then it comes out warm, medium-rare, and no soup. I understand the 787 has programmed ovens to cook different dishes to different levels but flight from Haneda last week still presented beef soup. Other airlines don't seem to have this issue, and quite clearly it can even be avoided on Air Canada as long as the timing is done right. It would really make the meal more pleasant. The other dishes also suffer from this sort of issue, but less prominently.
787 has steam ovens so it tends to cook the food better. You shouldn't see as much water in the dishes now with galley plating as the flight attendant is manually plating the dish so they are not going to pour the watery sauce onto the dish as well. We're not the only airline with that issue, I've seen similar on my flights on CX, BA in J - believe it has something to do with the ovens and the fact that the beef has to be pre-cooked (hence you see the piece of bread we put under the steak to absorb some of it). Hopefully with steam ovens and galley plating your beef will be better! Keep me posted on your experiences.