FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:33 am
Points Scrounger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Majuki
Is this the case, or is it merely disabling the PIN bypass option? I thought that except for the unattended kiosks that most, if not all, EMV POS terminals would accept a signature transaction and that any refusals would be from the cashier, not the machine itself.

Have we heard of any stories about merchants refusing anything except chip-and-PIN outside of the UK? I remember reading the article that tmiw posted about De Burgermeester in Amsterdam where the guy said, "No 'American' cards." but what we don't know is whether an 'American' card means a non-EMV card or if it's truly chip-and-PIN only.

To answer the question posed by JEFFJAGUAR, there's nothing that gives away a chip-and-PIN card from a chip-and-signature card based on physical appearance.
There is another anecdotal story of a restaurant in Germany that refuses signatures. My thought was that that guy got burned by having a large tab refuted later by the diner, and since he couldn't produce a copy of the signature slip, the charge was reversed to him; one scamster ruining everything for all of us? For some reason I got the impression that the Dutch joint meant no mag cards, though he may find storing (and sorting through) swiped receipts too tedious.