FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any day of the week that consistently has lower loads in biz (SIN-HEL)?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:28 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I haven't heard of confirmed u/g being involuntary downgraded - would be quite an expensive excercise for AY due to EU/261.
You must have missed my rant about that.

But that coincided with equipment change, and what Aster suggests is a oversell of J with the intent of bumping F pax. That I haven't heard about.

As for EC261/2004 and downgrades, the text says something like "not being transported in the travel class purchased". It is very likely that airlines like AY will claim Y is the purchased class, as they don't consider points transactions to be a purchase. As a matter of fact, when I was downgraded all AY ever said was "what are you upset about, you are getting your points back".

My take on this is
* All AY upgrades are to be considered standby and not confirmed
* Compared to oversold Y, oversold J is extremely uncommon, ie F wont get kicked under normal circumstances
* but with equipment change all bets are of. First people to be kicked out of J is F-pax and those travelling on corporate fares.
* And finally tier status has no effect on who gets kicked