FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Type of identification required if using USA credit card in UK or Irish Republic?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:20 pm
Dadaluma83

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
A passport card sounds like a good investment. Could keep my passport in the hotel safe and still have an acceptable form of ID. Plus it would give me peace of mind at TSA checkpoints too. I have a drivers license from new mexico and it seems like every so often in the news that I hear about that drivers license no longer being acceptable ID due to the Real ID act or something.

I do have a chip and signature card that I will be using. I guess I can bring my passport along with me, just store it in my money belt or neck wallet, whichever I decide to get.

I don't think I will be buying anything expensive to claim VAT. Just a pub meal and a game ticket to England vs Slovenia at Wembley.

My biggest fear is not really being robbed (Save that fear for when I redeem some leftover miles to Rio De Janiero next year) but being scammed as an American tourist. What if I order a pub meal, then the check comes and the place says their credit card machine is not working, and I have no pounds on me. I have heard that some restaurants and stores claim that their credit card reader is not working in an effort to steer the customer into paying cash in order to avoid processing fees. Then when the customer threatens to leave the reader is magically working again. Obviously I would be in a tight spot if I eat the meal first, then the bill comes and they won't take my card and I have no cash on me. I can't just threaten to leave because I have already eaten without paying. I guess to avoid that situation I will be sure to ask if they accept Visa before entering the restaurant.