FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to start a successful travel website?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:44 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by krawin
Anyone knows here the step by step procedures on how I can start my own travel site? What are the things that I should consider and the important factors and requirements that I should comply? I know I have to spent some money and how much do you think it would be?
You're going at this backwards. What's important is your idea and its value in the marketplace, not the delivery system. If you have a good idea that will attract revenue, it doesn't matter if you deliver it via a website, an app, leaflets on phone poles or carrier pigeon. But if you decide off the top you want to make a wad of money from a vague idea of a "travel website," and the specifics of value proposition, content, etc. are an afterthought, you're doomed.

As someone upthread has pointed out, the vast majority of "travel bloggers" earn nothing, or next to it. That's because they create no value. They glom onto stories in the press, or scoops broken elsewhere, and blather about them. But they have no unique insight, education, point of view, etc. Survey the "stories" that decorate the front page of FT, most of which recycle leads or ideas from elsewhere including FT's inside pages, and you'll see what I mean. (Most bloggers, in fact, are not reporters / journalists, despite the idiotic conventional wisdom that blogging can replace traditional journalism. Most do no reporting outside of Googling, and many are tapping away in their parents' basement.) If you expect to earn any sort of living from this activity in the first five years you are misleading yourself. Odds say you'll probably never be able to make more than beer money.

As for how much money you'll have to spend: $0 to millions, depending. The guys who founded Airbnb started with $1,000, but they had a good idea. There are numberless web entrepreneurs who burned millions and ended up broke, because they had either a dumb idea or none at all. But you can get a good idea going on Wordpress and Twitter for nothing.

During the dot-com fever days I spent a lot of time consulting with people who announced they were going to build a "killer website" and get rich, but intended to outsource everything, especially the key ideas that drove their business. Most were spectacular failures.

Have the idea first. And, no, you can't outsource that.