FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The day after the night before: how should AF regain passengers' trust post-strike?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:33 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
The difficulty, though, is that unless you can be sure that the storm has passed, any attempt at rebuilding goodwill through various initiatives could be instantly destroyed by a new strike. The priority must surely be to get to a clear agreement on a way forward.
I fully agree with you.

Given the hard times ahead, AF should first review how they can improve their response to such strikes. I know that general opinion on this board is that the response was not bad given the size of the strike, but it can always be improved. One part is providing some satisfactory compensation to those affected. If qualification levels is an issue than some level miles credits could be a solution.

In the short run, AF will need to fill its planes. Hence, I would expect some emergency sale campaign even if more turbulence could be expected.

As a side comment, I do not think that giving a few thousands miles make a significant difference to most people. And we all know how quickly AF has devalued miles in the recent past. IMO, the only way a more "risky" airline can become attractive is by offering lower prices. Until AF can convince the public that strikes are behind it, it will be hard to rebuild goodwill by mere advertisement or miles gift.

Like Orbitmic, I feel that BA was very good in handling the post-strike period (BTW, I also felt that they were very good in handling irrops during the strike). But the strike ended as a clear win for BA and a later agreement.