FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ultra-Orthodox Jewish pax refuse to sit next to women on El Al flight JFK-Tel Aviv
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:19 am
ysolde
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by joshwex90
This thread is a very disappointing read. There are few (though some) Haredi people on this board, and not many condone the actions of this.

But the posts here are quite sad and uninformed and simply knee-jerk.

Which flight was delayed hours? Looking at FlightAware, I see 2 LY flights that landed on Wednesday. Neither was scheduled to land at 05:00 and neither did.

LY2 landed at 12:09PM (51 minutes behind schedule) and LY4 landed at 03:23AM, 18 minutes behind schedule.

And does anyone know the author, this woman who suffered so much, personally? Does anyone know her track record of finding fault with all religious men in virtually every sphere? Does anyone know who discredited academic track record?

I do - I've dealt with her personally.

Loathe am I to ever condone the behavior by those who make a fuss over sitting next to women on the plane. They are wrong from a moral and Jewish law perspective, and they waste everyone's time which violates Jewish law and they cause a desecration of God's name. So I'm not saying, "it's OK here." It's not. And I'm well aware of these stories. They're not fake, I get it.
BUT, I feel little sympathy for a woman who has cried wolf one too many times. And then exaggerates too much here (her story isn't supported by publicly available facts).
Thank you. All of this is useful information, form an unbiased POV.

In any event, this thread has given me food for thought. If LY is "courting the business" (for lack of a better phrase) of the Haredi community, then it must be aware that these situations do come up from time to time, and it should come up with a better policy (or some policy, any policy) to deal with them. Expecting CC and passengers to try to figure it out as it is happening is not an optimal solution.

Last edited by ysolde; Sep 28, 2014 at 10:48 am Reason: Clarity