FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:26 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

Simple to answer the questions about Wells Fargo. Go into a Walmart and if you have an aversion to shopping at Walmart, buy a Hershey bar at a check out counter. Insert the card in the card reader. If it doesn't ask for a pin, and I'll bet you a nickel it doesn't, then it is a chip and signature card (the reason no prompt for a signature is Walmart does naot require signatures for purchases undeer $50). That means signature verification is on a higher priority on the cvm on the chip. Itg will function as chip and signature almost surely at most personneled terminals in Europe but may well function as unpersonneled kiosks such as French SNCF ticketing machines and self service gas stations.

BTW those of you who spring for the $95 for the glorified mastercard masquerading as a Diners Club card can do the same test. Not sure how that will come out but I suspect it will end up being primary chip and signature although I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is.

Simple test. Let us know.

Last edited by JEFFJAGUAR; Sep 27, 2014 at 4:54 pm