FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Roadtrip between CA and Oregon? [moved from California forum]
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:16 am
OliverB

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The last time I did that I used 395 and continued north through Lava Beds National Monument and on to Klamath Falls for the night before going on to Crater Lake. That back road area was MUCH nicer than I-5.

That said, I don't really think this is the time to do that trip. The fires in the northern part of the state have covered a lot of the area in smoke. It will not be very scenic and breathing will be unpleasant.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the impact from the fires. You're right and we'll probably hold off until next May as a result. Is the winter snow usually melted and gone by early May that far north?

Thanks for the tip on the Lava Beds and Klamath Falls. We'll almost certainly cut east and take that route when we make the trip. Perhaps we'll make a full week of it and add a couple of nights in one of the towns around Tahoe in the Sierra foothills (Carson City, Kit Carson, Soda Springs, Sierra City, Graeagle, Blairsden, Cromberg, Quincy, etc) or perhaps a night in Reno, then continue up to Mount Shasta and push north through Oregon.

Last edited by OliverB; Sep 25, 2014 at 9:46 am