FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delays on HA 36 HNL-PHX
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:51 pm
BarryAZ

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Thanks -- a couple of variables for me.

1) Next year's trip includes Hawaii and Kauai

Using USAirways -- I can fly direct to Kona for the week, then fly on HA to Kauai via HNL. For the return I can use HA from Kauai to HNL and then switch to USAirways for a 1PM flight home.

So working through the timings this seems best anyway.

I was thinking of taking advantage of two features using HA. One, the 1/2 off companion ticket, and two, the extra comfort seats.

The thing is, the HA extra comfort seats don't apply for the Phoenix flights with HA since are not using Airbus metal. So that advantage goes away. The second thing is they don't support that half off for multicity routings -- so I'd only get half off for the PHX/HNL round trip and need a separate ticket for the HNL-KOA plus KOA/HNL Kauai flights.

The cost savings isn't all that much and the idea of direct flights PHX/KOA and HNL/Phx is attractive as well. I accumulate miles via USAirways as well as Hawaiian so that isn't much of a variable either.

I can hope that some day USAirways will also change out aircraft for their Hawaii routes as well.

Originally Posted by azj
Every airline has mechanical problems and no particular city is immune. Hawaiian does not operate the same particular airplane to certain cities. All 11 (soon 10, and 9 next summer when you're flying) 767s could end up flying to PHX. Therefore, I wouldn't plan an entire journey around a thread on FT that magnifies occasional problems on a particular route. I highly doubt the 330 will be flying to PHX anytime soon. And for the record, the 330 has occasional issues as well. Just find the tickets that fit your needs and book them.