FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complete List of Airports with Whole Body Imaging/Advanced Imaging Technology Scanner
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:45 pm
sba110

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Yesterday, I was flying DUS-ORD on AA. While waiting to board at the gate, I was "randomly" selected to undergo both a MMW scan and a pat down.

Based on my conversation with a German police officer leading the security staff, this was not an optional exercise as "[my] airline had required them to perform these random checks" and the alternative seemed to be arrest (rather than simply not flying).
You most certainly won't get arrested for refusing to go through a scanner in Germany. They're not in the business of arresting people for no reason.

AA (I imagine because of pressure from DHS) is insisting on these procedures - just like they insist on employing those useless people who ask you questions like "did you pack your luggage yourself". AA is paying for this, and they can certainly come up with their own rules that passengers have to follow in order to fly. Other US carriers are doing the same. Germany is not paying for nor deploying scanners.