FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Name Order
Thread: Name Order
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:13 pm
crazycrab955

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by lynnt
Everything was fine until I got to the confirmation page just before making payment, I double checked again and the name was shown as Tee SinShawn Tan.
For whatever reason, SIA's system does this to Chinese Singaporean names when the order on the passport is: <SURNAME> <CHINESEGIVENNAME1><CHINESEGIVENNAME2>, <ENGLISHGIVENNAME>. Your experience is not at all unique.

Part of the peculiarity is that Singapore inserts a comma before the English given name, which is not generally something you find on passports. Nevertheless, SIA's system preserves some spaces and eliminates them elsewhere. When the boarding pass is issued, though, most of the time all of the given names (Chinese1, Chinese 2, English, Salutation) all get run together without any spaces at all.

At any rate, I've now seen this many times where the second Chinese given name and the English given name loses a space between them in SIA's system. It *may* show up that way on your boarding pass, but do not worry. It is absolutely not an issue and will not cause any problems at security, immigration, or for mileage credit.