FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:27 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Now that the 787-9 is in service I figure it is time to put together the master thread about seats and such. I was on the inaugural yesterday writing for Airways News as a guest of UA so I got a bit of time to explore the 787-9 before all the other passengers came on board. And I snapped a lot of photos. I've included some here in hopes that it helps people make decisions about where they want to sit.

BusinessFirst
Not much different from the -8 version. There are still (at least) three different foot-well layouts/sizes. Choose wisely based on your needs.

I still prefer the bulkhead in the second cabin on the starboard side but I can understand that others might have other preferences.

Also, no windows at row 4.

And limited overhead storage in the center at row 1 due to pilot rest bunks but given the new Sky Interior bins I'd be shocked if that's really a problem.

Not particularly related to seat quality but there are new controls for the recline and the IFE. I really like the new IFE controller; you can watch the moving map on it and a movie on the main screen.

EconomyPlus
Bulkhead rows are still my favorite. Every seat has power (not just 2 plugs per 3 seats) and good legroom.

The center 3 seats also has an adjustable armrest for the D/E pair. Might be useful to some.

Exit Row @ 3L/R
The A/L seats at row 27 are not marked as E+ from what I've seen. There is the door slide and no window but I think these are probably the best "free" seats on the plane.

Economy
The crew bunks in the pack start at row 39 which cuts that overhead space out.

Also, no window at row 38.

I forgot to mention...

The new economy seats are different. They are the articulating seat so the bottom pan slides forward a bit when you recline. You can see it a bit in this photo:

Everything else looked pretty normal from what I recall. I have more photos so if there are any questions just ask and I'll try to get an answer or a photo showing what's going on.

Links above go to the stories I've written about the plane on two different commercial websites. FT rules require disclosure of such.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 24, 2014 at 4:28 am Reason: retitled thread to match existing ones for consistency